A School with High Standards
The French Academy DC, VA, MD is a small French school whose mission is to offer flexibility, tailor made and personalized service to anyone wanting to learn French. Our small size allows our team to work intensively on the curricula, exchange information faster, and prepare classes according to the needs of our students. Our instruction is based on immersion, which will have you working proficiently faster than you might expect. Our methodology aims at re-creating a natural language environment with tasks and dialogs that one would encounter living or working in a French speaking country.
We offer classes for adults, professionals and corporations, children (from beginners to French speaking children), as well as private tutoring at all levels of proficiency in the DC metro area and in Baltimore.
As a small school, we have the flexibility to be where we're most needed. That's why we're happy to come to you, giving in-house classes at your place of business or at home. While our office is in Alexandria, our group classes for adults take place on K street NW (DC) or inAlexandria (Franconia and Telegraph Rd), and our children classes are on Saturdays in Chevy Chase (DC), Sundays in Alexandria. We also offer classes in Baltimore. If you want to visit us, please contact us before for an appointment, since we are not present all the time at the same location.
Our French language courses follow the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), which sets standards for every stage of learning languages. Our teachers use an integrated communicative and task-oriented approach in teaching French that focuses on the student and his/her environment. We focus on improving speaking and listening skills. Our professional and friendly team is here to help you from your first day and will support your desire to learn French.
- One-on-one or small group classes enable a personalized lesson plan and learning rhythms.
- We will regularly do a written and oral evaluation to see which aspects we might need to review or foster.
- Depending on your needs and your written or oral level, we will create a structured, varied and interesting course which will help you improve your understanding and your ability to express yourself in French.
- During the class, we will only speak French. Your language practice is immediate.
- Don’t worry! Visual aids and gesturing will help understanding.
- We will encourage your participation to make sure that speaking French will come more naturally to you.
- Working on grammar from the very start will help you understand the language structure.
- It will be important to learn the basics so you can quickly express yourself.
- The courses are designed for you to get accustomed to everyday French, and feel ready for day-to-day situations.
From Beginner to Advanced (A1 to B2+)
When you learn a language you go through different stages of proficieny: beginner (A1), elementary (A2), intermediate (B1), advanced (B2) and bilingual (C1 or C2).
- In private lessons you can learn at your own pace.
- In group classes you can choose classes according to your French level:
A1: Beginners: Survival 1, 2 and 3 - Bleu 1 and 2.
A2: Elementary: Conversation and Grammar Classes A2, White 1 and 2.
B1: Intermediate: Conversation and Grammar Classes B1, Workshops.
B2: Advanced: Conversation and Grammar Classes B2; Perfect your French B2+,Workshops.
C1: Bilingual: Perfect French B2+, Workshops.
Choose your Group Class here.
Check the schedule of our French Adult Classes in Washington DC or in Alexandria.
For children, we offer classes for English speakers (beginners to elementary), and bilingual children/ French speakers from 18 months to 15 years old.
Check the schedule of Group Classes for kids here.
"We are not only native speakers, we are also French teachers!"
- All our teachers have at least a bachelor degree, or a master or a PHD,
- They studied in French, which makes it our main proficient language,
- They are experienced with teaching, and espially how to teach a language.
- They are passionate about their work.
We will immerse you in the language to ensure rapid progress, working with authentic materials, reproducing real conversation. Our instruction follows the “actional” or "task-based" method. What is the “actional” method? It’s situation-based learning, which is how we learned our native language. It’s learning by solving problems or resolving tasks, such as: shopping, finding your way somewhere, making appointments, making small talk. Learning in real language situations is how kids learn a language naturally. Your memory functions betterbecause it is linked to an experience and a task that you achieved.
Compare this to learning a language with flash cards or computer methods -- simply repeating words and sentences out of context, with no real communicative or interactive experience. This kind of knowledge is stored in the cognitive memory but is not in the “procedural” memory, which means it’s going to be forgotten.
Where and When
Classes are in the heart of the business district in DC on K street or in Alexandria (Telegraph road/ Franconia) at convenient times: early in the morning or in the evening, and also on Saturdays.
We are not always at a location: we rent rooms there for greater flexibility. If you want to visit us and check a location, contact us in advance.