Why learn French
According to the report, Why study French, by Richard Shryock of Virginia Tech, French, along with English, is the official working language of:
- the United Nations
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- the International Labor Bureau
- the International Olympic Committee
- the 31-member Council of Europe
- the European Community
- the Universal Postal Union
- the International Red Cross
- Union of International Associations (UIA)More locally, according to the 2010 U.S. Census, 1.8 million Americans speak French in the home.
And looking ahead to future career opportunities, 2,800 French companies in the U.S. employ approximately 550,000 Americans. U.S. companies employ nearly 650,000 people in France. Among foreign countries doing business in the U.S., France employs the third largest number of Americans.
And vous: parlez vous Français ?