There are so many way you can learn French, be sure you choose the right one...
Learning with computer programs and online lessons:
Let’s face it -- with French software and online programs you will learn vocabulary, but you will not be able to acquire the language the way you will with a person. You need real experience, a real interaction with a teacher and others on the path of learning. Your brain will store the information differently, more effectively engaging the long-term memory. Also no computer is able to teach you the subtleties and the cultural aspects linked to the language. Nevertheless, in case your schedule or commitments don't allow you to attend a class in person, we can offer you one-on-one lessons on Skype, and build a great experience with a teacher who will develop a lesson-plan according to your needs.
Learning with independent tutors
If you are searching for a French tutor, you can find many people offering their service on Craig's list or on tutors' sites. While you can surely find someone great and experienced, many tutors are unfortunately not very qualified. Some speak French as a second even third language. They didn't learn it properly at school and therefore make some grammar mistakes. Some tutors will also have a strong accent. Because of this, you might not learn the standard language and will have difficulties with understanding other French speakers. If you are a beginner, you might not even be aware of the lack of proficiency of your tutor…
Learning in some well-known schools that offer several languages:
Do you want to be taught from a book, using a rigid methodology…regardless of your particular needs? Probably not. Is that how you learned your native language? Definitely not. Our courses are tailored to your current level and goals. Also, our founders are themselves long-experienced teachers and certified examiners, allowing them to assess their teachers and ensure the highest quality. In many schools, the management does not even speak the languages taught and teachers are hired just because they know the language (more or less...).
Working with us rather than with a big French institution:
- At the French Academy, all our tutors had to apply in French, they received a language test to see if they were able to correct advanced or even French speakers. Then, they had to pass an interview and a classroom observation/trial to see if they were also skilled at teaching.
- Our founders developed curriculums and classes such as youth camps, kids classes, and business French in famous French institutions. Realizing that students would profit a lot from a high standard French school in the metro area providing individualized teaching rather than standardized, they decided to create the French Academy, where everyone can experience a more personalized approach, creativity and excellence.
- We offer the FSI, DELF / DALF, and TEF exam preparation. As examiners, we know the request of such tests. As a result, we have many years of experience in helping students passing their exam.
- From a practical standpoint -- we're easy to get to (you can walk from the Metro to our location on K street) and we can come to your place very flexibly.
- Our group classes are very small, so everyone will get more attention.